The Art Collection
The art exhibited in Faculty House features colorful contemporary work in all media by artists Stephen Ellis, Nina Katchadourian, Julian Kreimer, Abelardo Morrell, Michal Nachmany, David Row, Jacinta Stewart and others. In addition, the collection includes a curated selection of over sixty vintage images selected from Columbia University Archives.
Garden Room 2: Living Monuments
In 2017, Living Monuments by Michal Nachmany was installed in Garden Room 2. In this series Nachmany celebrates the continued growth of Columbia University’s Manhattanville Campus, while paying tribute to the Morningside Campus and to landmarks and history of a nearby section of Manhattan’s Riverside Park.
Nachmany's work has been exhibited in several solo shows in New York City and New York State. Her first international solo exhibit was in Taipei, Taiwan in late 2016, followed by a show in Krakow, Poland in the spring of 2017.
About the Artist
Michal Nachmany is a self-taught artist and educator who has lived on the Upper West Side of New York City for over three decades. She was born in Jerusalem, Israel, in 1958, and memories of the diverse mixture of colors, sounds, and smells from the markets of her childhood strongly influence her art.
Nachmany’s technique combines mixed media, including multi-layered photo lithography,collage, printmaking, and sculptural installation. Through her art she attempts to create stories about the objects, places, buildings, and histories she encounters along life’s journey. She often uses memorabilia, legal contracts, letters, photo albums, architectural renderings, matchbooks, postcards, and other found objects. By bringing together these different elements she hopes to spark dialogue about the objects as well as memories about the objects’ significance to the history of a community.
In the process of creating her art, she has observed that collecting objects and preserving memories from the past occurs in varied forms across many different cultures and communities. For Nachmany, the act of collecting objects represents a universal desire to preserve fragments of the past through its physical manifestations, while continuing to move forward in a rapidly changing world with new stories and new keepsakes, unfolding with each new day.
- General Grant National Memorial(Grant’s Tomb): Multilayered photo lithography and collage with hand-painted elements. Grant’s Tomb is the resting place of Ulysses S. Grant (1822–1885), the 18th President of the United States, and his wife, Julia Boggs Dent Grant. Completed in 1897, the tomb stands in Riverside Park in the Morningside Heights neighborhood. Northeast of the monument is Columbia University’s Manhattanville Campus.
- Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Monument: Multilayered photo lithography and collage with hand-painted elements.The monument commemorates Union Army soldiers and sailors who served in the American Civil War. Completed in 1902, the monument is located about one-mile south of Columbia University’s campus, at 89th Street and Riverside Drive.
- The Low Memorial Library: Multilayered photo lithography and collage. This print captures the iconic image of the Low Memorial Library, built in 1895 by Seth Low, Columbia University President, 1890-1901.
- The Historical Claremont Inn: Multilayered photo lithography and collage with hand-painted elements. Just south of the Manhattanville Campus, the Claremont Inn was built in the early 19th century along the Hudson River, north of what is now Grant’s Tomb. The Inn saw its glory days from the 1890s to the 1920s, and was demolished in 1951.
- Butler Library: Multilayered photo lithography and collage. This print combines historical images from inside and outside the Butler Library building. Dr. Nicholas Murray Butler followed President Seth Low in serving as Columbia University’s president, 1902-1945. As president, Butler carried out a major expansion of the campus, adding many new buildings, schools, and departments. After he died, Columbia’s main academic library, previously known as South Hall, was renamed to Butler Library. In 1931 Dr. Butler was the co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Alma Mater (Latin: alma "nourishing/kind", mater "mother”): Multilayered photo lithography and collage. The bronze sculpture of the goddess Athena by Daniel Chester French was installed in September 1903 on the steps leading up to the Low Memorial Library. Since then, the sculpture has become known internationally as one of the most significant and recognizable symbols of the University.
- St. Paul’s Chapel: Multilayered photo lithography and collage. St. Paul's Chapel, on Columbia’s Morningside Heights campus, was built from 1903-1907. In the background of the piece is a letter dated 1918 sent to the chaplain from a former student, Lieutenant J.H. Donaldson. The soldier writes to thank the chaplain for a letter he sent Donaldson, who carried the chaplain’s letter with him during a battle in France: “I had it [the chaplain’s letter]with me during the five days of fighting at Soissons, July 18-23, 1918 – Sincerely, J.H. Donaldson.”
- Manhattanville Urban Campus II: Multilayered photo lithography and collage with hand-painted elements. The former Studebaker automobile finishing plant, constructed in the 1920s, is one of the few remnants of the old industrial West Harlem neighborhood that is now the site of Columbia's Manhattanville campus. Today the Studebaker building houses several of Columbia’s administrative departments. The artwork incorporates the images of the Studebaker building, an original stock certificate for the Studebaker Corp., vintage Studebaker cars, the 125th Street Viaduct, original street maps, Harlem’s Cotton Club, and more.
- Manhattanville Urban Campus I: Multilayered photo lithography and collage with hand-painted elements. The center image shows the Jerome L. Greene Science Center. In the background is a view of Manhattanville in 1860, as well as images of historical subway tracks, the neighborhood’s old map, and more.
- America is Beautiful: Mixed-media woodcut of a map of the United States. This work includes images of Riverside Park, the Hudson River, and incorporates architectural elements from the neighborhood near Riverside Park and Manhattanville.
The Ivy Lounge features a collection of pieces from Special Collections Revisted from the series The Sorted Books series, by Nina Katchadourian. The artist began this series in 1993 and continues to add to it. The books highlighted come from private homes and specialized book collections.
Also displayed is Bookshelf, by Julian Kreimer.
11. All You Need to Know: Completed in 1996/2008 by Nina Katchadourian.
12. What is Art?: Completed in 1996/2008 by Nina Katchadourian.
13. Why Spiders Spin: Completed in 1996/2008 by Nina Katchadourian.
14. David: Completed in 1996/2008 by Nina Katchadourian.
15. Leonardo da Vinci as a Musician: Completed in 1996/2008 by Nina Katchadourian.
16. Bookshelf: Completed by 2007 by Julian Kreimer.
Skyline Dining Room:
The Skyline Dining Room features a collection of artwork from various artists.
17. Books: Pile XXVII: Completed in 2008 by Ephraim Ruberstein.
18. Two Open Books: Ellen Ternan and Charles Dickens: Completed in 2000 by Abelardo Morell.
19. Untitled: Completed in 2005 by Stephen Ellis.
20. By Jacinta Stewart.